Our family

Our family

Friday, August 28, 2026

Monty is going back to the breeder

 Just a few days ago I was nostalgic for my young family, those years where there lives simply centered right here at home, where the power of my hug could heal most wounds.  When I got a  front row seat to witness each of their accomplishments, even when those very accomplishments carried them further and further away from me. From their first steps to their first day on campus. I can't even read my past posts because they make me cry and nostalgia is not a good look and often a complete distortion of reality. 

I was recently reminded of some of the harsher realities of those earlier years through Monty.  Yes I know he is just a dog and the pressure to raise him so he can live a productive life and help the world and form meaningful relationships is well, not there at all. That being said the darker and harder emotions that come with a dependent, manic, ego driven being with no ability to self regulate hit me full force yesterday. the monotony of being on call, both dreading and looking forward to the end of nap time then spending hours trying to keep him entertained, out of trouble and healthy day in and day out well lets just say I was wondering if it wasn't too late to return him to the breeder. 

Unlike my precious perfect offspring, Monty lunges, bites and chews furniture when bored or tired, though one point for Monty I have yet to see him have a full blown meltdown in target because I wouldn't buy him a candy bar at the check out in front of what seemed like thousands of people at the time, but may have only been a couple dozen. But then I haven't taken him to target because it is not illegal for me to leave him home alone, though I guess leaving your dog in the car is getting close to illegal these days.  Which as they say is wild, because my mom used to leave me in a stroller outside of King Kullen when she shopped 

However Monty survived his day and so did I, which believe it or not ended with me being proud of his accomplishment!  His first day of school was a resounding success!  He was the very best dog in class. It may have helped that he threw up on the way over and was feeling pretty worn out.  He was calm and focused, unlike the other wild maniacs in class, two of which were Golden


s, the cutest dogs but they are a bundle of energy and muscles.  

Once they pulled out the agility equipment, that is where he really shined!  The ramp was so high, but he went from unsure to confident in literally a minute. He wanted to do all of the obstacles over and over again! He was so excited and not the kind of excited that leads to biting.  Maybe we do have an athlete on our hands !! 


No comments: