Our family

Our family

Friday, July 6, 2007

Some weeks are rough


The car is broken, and not just a little. The automatic sliding doors are not automatic any more. The driver seat does not move , but thankfully the position that it got stuck in, though not terribly comfortable for anyone, is still manageable for 6' tall Steve as well as 5' tall Dalila. So we just lived with it. Then a few weeks later the odometer stopped working and the back light got stuck on. Still we persevered. Then the call came. Dalila is stuck on Roosevelt Ave and the car is not moving.
All five kids are sick. I don't mean the sniffles. I mean Matthew had 105.1 at one point. For the most part everyone is hovering around 102. Steve and I though not hit as hard are feeling pretty bad as well.
Dalila continues alternate between sulky and teenager-esque giggly.
All together the family has spent the past week bumping off each other with an edginess and tension that makes everyone grateful for bedtime.
But the fourth of July was here and it seemed as everyone had party plan so I made ours. Swimming and illegal fireworks at Nonni's house. So in the early evening, we picked up the KFC and the whiny kids, piled them into stifling hot Big and off we went.
It was cold so swimming was out. It was raining so fireworks were out. We spent the night in a oven hot house, eating bad food trying to keep the miserable children from killing each other. Matthew spent 5 out of every 20 minutes in time out. I finally caved at 7:15 and piled all of the kids back in big to head home. Steve had his own car and followed us. This of course sent the kids into a tizzy, "we want Daddy! Where is Daddy" I did the only thing I could think of, I turned WBAB on full blast and rocked out in the drivers seat. When we got home our exhausted sick kids had fallen asleep on the short trip, in a loud and hot Big. I felt bad for all of the yelling I had done at our fiasco of a party. I felt tired and desperate to get the kids to bed.
But like a dog that can't learn its lesson I have continued to make even bigger plans for the summer and my heart races with excitement to try it all again.

No comments: