Our family

Our family

Monday, June 11, 2007




This is a sad day at the Bo house. Our beloved, sweet dog Amstel "Ami" has died. She was with us for 15 years. A good run for a dog. I adopted Ami at 9 months old. Her first night at my house she got into a case of canned bear and pierced several open. So when I had gotten back to the apartment she had taken a beer bath. I knew then that she was going to be a friend for life. And I was ever so right. Together we learned every part of Central Park. She swam in the brambles, the lake and every fountain they had. She summered in PA with my folks, where she swam in their lake and chased the deer.

Then she met Steve. On our 1st date, I confessed to owning a dog. On our 2nd date he brought her a treat when he picked me up. This was Ami's love story. The two of them hit it off. Soon they had moved in together in Bayside (I followed about at 1 1/2 years later)

Ami was the most playful and humorous dog you could ever meet. never ferocious unless she knew damn well Steve would be their to back her up. Steve and I swore the dog could understand a joke. At one point we administered one of those checklists used in early childhood development assessments. She scored at the level of a 5 year old for social skills. Of course she fell apart in the language and dressing yourself sections. I think the assessment was biased.

Our memories of Ami are countless. The joy and smiles she left us with will not be forgotten. Ami was a one in a million dog. She never ran away or caused us problems. Always true to her sheep herding heritage, it was her personality to keep us all as close together as possible. Herding Steve me and the twins by nipping at our heels. Her inability to herd well, the twins as toddlers, was a source of much concern for her. By the time the triplets arrived she had gone into full retirement.

Here is to you Ami, the fine dog that you were, you will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.

No comments: