Our family

Our family

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Minneapolis


Finally it is behind me, the trip to Minneapolis, nothing against the town but I hated to leave the kids. Before anyone gets a picture of me as some Madonna eternally devoted and attached to her broad, the truth is I just felt really uncomfortable leaving them without family to take care of them. Our nanny is fine but I know her only 7 months and her English is very poor. It just seemed like a recipe for disaster, but God was good and we were able to get through with out any major incidents.
Christopher did get stung by a bee on his face while I was away, so while I am standing around trying to sell our wonderful product at this gigantic expo, I get a call from the pre-school to come pick up Chris he's been hurt and needs to see a DR. Being 1200 miles from home makes it difficult to get Chris who is now sobbing on the phone to me. I try to comfort him and I tell him "oh Christopher you poor baby, momma is giving you a big hug right now. Can you feel momma giving you a hug?"
"no." answers Christopher in his what is my crazy mother saying now voice. It is great how much can be conveyed in one simple word.
After many phone calls I orchestrate his medical care and comfort from what feels like a universe away, while dealing with potential clients and keeping my own tears in check the entire time.
Back as I am, my normally crazy life can continue to run amok. The nanny needs to see a DR. thankfully nothing serious. But that means I have to locate a Spanish speaking doctor that accepts her insurance and then drag the kids over to the office to make sure it goes well.

Of course there is no parking so Dalila hops out of the car to find the doctor on her own. I find parking and begin to drag the 5 children down the crazy crowded blvd. The sidewalks are crowded and the road is jammed with cars. Cara sees a woman covered in a burka with only her eyes showing and she strikes up a conversation. Chris sees a hot dog cart and says he wants one, the lady says we don't sell hot dogs. So Chris looks closer at the cart and say oh you only sell Halal food. I think he has mis-read health food, but no, it says halal food. The spacial food that religious Muslims eat (similar to kosher for the Jews). I am astounded.

Most would shudder to bring there little ones to this crowded ethnic neighborhood, but I take comfort in the fact that there lots of little ones in these neighborhoods. And like Steve has said there is like an invisible rope tying our kids together. They seem to have a strong survival instinct and never go far from the group. Any wanderings are quickly corrected with a stern word or two and Christopher and Matthew feel responsible for the "their babies" and will use force if necessary to stop any dangerous or perceived dangerous behaviors. This as you can imagine, has its pros and cons. They hold hands on the busy streets. One big boy takes two babies, one takes one baby and is charge of opening doors. I walk right behind them so I can keep everyone in view. I feel like a vigilant jail guard in these more high risk situations. My focus is complete as I sweep my eyes continually over the group. They on the other hand love the outing. Cara has taken to calling Mark, Mark Alejandro, and saying "I Cara" to anyone who even glances in her direction.

Last night I went to look in on the babies sleeping in their cribs and was shocked to see that they are not babies at all. They are so big. They keep trying to let us know each day that they are not babies anymore. They have something to say, the world does not just impact them, but they impact the world.

No comments: